Guided search

Click a term to initiate a search.

View By Location

J.C. Penney Department Store

Original Name: J.C. Penney's
Year Of Construction: 1950
Address: 8656 Colesville Road Silver Spring, MD 20910
Architect(s):
Current Status: The Filmore
Original Use: Music Venue
Function:

The J.C. Penney department store building was constructed in 1950 and, with the exception of the front limestone facade, was demolished in its entirety in 1990. In 2011, the facade was incorporated into the Fillmore music venue. The eye is first drawn to three, off-center geometric bands of vertical aluminum grillwork. These are balanced on the opposing side by a linear band of sleek, protruding limestone in contrasting grey which is topped with a fin-like crown and decorated with the current building owner’s logo. Along the outer edge of this detail, as well as continuing under a single narrow band of horizontally placed rectangular windows, are three rows of fine aluminum band work.