Guided search

Click a term to initiate a search.

View By Location

Canada Dry Bottling Plant

Original Name: Canada Dry Bottling Plant
Year Of Construction: 1946
Address: 1201 East-West Highway Silver Spring, MD 20910
Architect(s): Walter Monroe Cory
Current Status: Multi-Family Residential
Original Use: Soft Drink Bottling Plant
Function:

The Canada Dry Bottling Plant was designed in the Streamline Moderne Style in 1946 by New York City architect Walter Monroe Cory. According to historical signage outside of the building “the extant two-story administrative section was connected to a one-story manufacturing bottling facility and warehouse. This complex occupied 2.9 acres adjacent to the      B & O Railroad’s “Metropolitan Branch” (est. 1873), allowing ease of delivery of raw materials for the production of carbonated beverages.” Signage also tells us that “the interior walls of the rotunda entrance are faced with ginger-colored structural tiles…The entrance lobby floor and steps are terrazzo, with a pattern of circles resembling soda bubbles. A curving decorative, open, flat iron railing provides a strong visual line for the cantilevered curving stairway along the interior lobby wall.” It features yellow brick, glazed tile, a glass block curved rotunda, and strip windows. There are fluted cast stone spandrel panels below the ground level windows on either side of the curving entryway. The entrance features stepped brick and structural glazed tile detailing, glass block, more fluted spandrel panels and subtle projecting cast stone canopy over the entrance door. The design of the building was used as a prototype for 14 others in North America and Cuba.

The bottling plant operated for 40 years and was re-opened as the Silverton Condominiums in 2006. The architecturally significant portion of the structure (including the monumental central lobby and CANADA DRY “crown”) were maintained as was the curving stairway and terrazzo floor inside the entrance lobby rotunda.